The Bible was written over 2,000 years ago, and for such an old Book – there are some pretty interesting stuff written in it that will make you say, ‘What, that’s in the Bible?’ This amazing Book is still so relevant for doing what’s right today as you will read in today’s post. I hope you will be as fascinated with the text written below as I was …
“Once I was looking out the window of my house, and I saw many inexperienced young men, but noticed one foolish fellow in particular. He was walking along the street near the corner where a certain woman lived. He was passing near her house in the evening after it was dark. And then she met him; she was dressed like a prostitute and was making plans. She was a bold and shameless woman who always walked the streets or stood waiting at a corner, sometimes in the streets, sometimes in the marketplace. She threw her arms around the young man, kissed him, looked him straight in the eye, and said, “I made my offerings today and have the meat from the sacrifices.”
So I came out looking for you. I wanted to find you, and here you are! I’ve covered my bed with sheets of colored linen from Egypt. I’ve perfumed it with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
Come on! Let’s make love all night long. We’ll be happy in each other’s arms. My husband isn’t at home. He’s on a long trip. He took plenty of money with him and won’t be back for two weeks.”
So she tempted him with her charms, and he gave in to her smooth talk. Suddenly he was going with her like an ox on the way to be slaughtered, like a deer prancing into a trap where an arrow would pierce its heart. He was like a bird going into a net—he did not know that his life was in danger.” Proverbs 7:6-13, 15-23 GNTD
Things to note:
- King Solomon noticed many inexperienced young men walking along the streets late in the dark of night
- He noticed one foolish one in particular
- This young man met a bold and shameless woman
- She threw her arms around him making bold sexual advances towards him
- She came out in the dark looking for that one man that will fall into her trap
- She reassured him that her husband is gone away for a long time – so there’s nothing to worry about
- He could no longer resist her sexual advances and sensual appeals – He thought he could get away in the dark going in with a prostitute
- He had no idea that he would not come back out alive
- He didn’t think his decision to give in would cost him his life
- He didn’t estimate the total cost
King Solomon the wisest man in the Bible offered his words of wisdom to the end of this chapter that is still very sound advice today for men. Women can also learn the dangers of leading men on or how to avoid the pitfalls if they are faced with bold and shameless men:
“Now then, sons, listen to me. Pay attention to what I say.
1. Do not let such a woman win your heart; don’t go wandering after her.
2. She has been the ruin of many men and caused the death of too many to count.
3. If you go to her house, you are on the way to the world of the dead.
4. It is a shortcut to death.”
Proverbs 7:24-27 GNTD
In summary – The Bible says, “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” If we were to pay immediately for our sins maybe we all would think twice before committing sin. Sin always has consequences for the person committing the wrong, but it also hurts and destroys the innocent people in our lives. Sin always cost us more than we intended to pay. Finally, sin is a choice – if sinners entice you, don’t give in.