I don’t know of anyone who enjoys waiting. The dictionary meaning for waiting is, “to allow TIME to go by, especially while staying in one place without doing very much.”
Human beings are very impatient by nature. We become extremely anxious:
- Waiting for that important phone call
- Waiting for an interview
- Waiting for someone to arrive
- Waiting for our children
- Waiting for a call
- Waiting for the plane to arrive
- Waiting on God
In the Book of Exodus we read stories of Moses, Aaron and the Israelites experiencing countless miracles including being miraculously led through the Red Sea by the mighty hand of God.
Now in Chapter 32 – God calls Moses away from the people to have a long chat with him for about 40 days. Moses took forever in coming down from the mountain with God. The people grew tired waiting on Moses and demanded that Aaron would agree with them to make themselves gods that would lead them instead of Moses. So together Aaron and the people built a golden calf to worship as their new god – unbelievable.
The Bible says:
“So Aaron told them, “Take off the gold rings from the ears of your wives and sons and daughters and bring them to me.” They all did it; they removed the gold rings from their ears and brought them to Aaron. He took the gold from their hands and cast it in the form of a calf, shaping it with an engraving tool. The people responded with enthusiasm: “These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up from Egypt!””
Exodus 32:2-4 MSG
- Can you imagine, after everything that God had done for them and the many miracles they personally witnessed ….why would they disobey the ONLY true God and build a golden calf to worship?
- Why would they build a calf when God had promised to take them to a land flowing with milk and honey?
How many times do we miss out on God’s blessings simply because we hate waiting on God. It’s such a tradegy!
Now here are some of the problems that we run into while WAITING on God:
- We throw our hands up in defeat
- We curse God
- We stop praying
- We stop going to church
- We stop believing
- We seek ungodly counsel
- We look to other sources for help
- We are prone to sin and waiting is not part of our faith walk
- We deny our faith in God
- God has purpose in every waiting period.
- God’s delay in answering your prayers is not for you to assume that He’s sitting idly by and either punishing or ignoring your cry.
- His timing is wisdom in disguise
- In our waiting – God is definitely working on your behalf in ways you will never believe
- Reminder – God cannot lie because He’s not like man
- If He said it, we can believe Him and choose to wait
- Understanding God’s quietness at times can be very frustrating and discouraging, but you can trust His timing
We can wait on God to walk into the room. The land ahead is flowing with milk and honey. We will have lots of good times ahead than behind.