Sexual abuse can happen to anyone. Many incidents of sexual abuse are never reported and many victims never get over the fact that they have been an innocent victim of an ugly crime.
A child that has been sexually abused…is a child that has felt the betrayal of someone with whom they should have trusted – like a family member or close friend. Sexual abusers can be anyone like a sibling, a doctor, a friend, neighbor, or even a parent.
Because sexual abuse is so frightening and confusing – many victims prefer not to discuss it. Whether a person was abused at 5, 18, 25 or even 75 – the abuse always remain a part of them.
They suffer with:
- Low self esteem
- Difficulty loving their body
- Fear of people
- Feeling numb during sex
And of course – lots more negative emotions.
What are some steps to get through the healing and recovery process:
- It’s extremely hard to forgive someone who has deeply hurt you but WITH God’s help – ALL things are possible
- Victims are innocent. They will ALWAYS be the innocent one. It’s not your fault, and you have no reason to be ashamed.
- It was a nightmare but you can move on. Holding on to bitterness only makes you miserable
- It is possible to find the right support group or counselor to help you through the healing and recovery. Regardless of how many years/months/days have lapsed – you can get the help needed.
- Be kind to yourself. You are doing the best that you can. Your pain will be your pulpit. There’s good news flowing from the inside out.
- You can get your life back. You don’t need to get stuck where you are today. The next chapter is about to be written.
You are only a victim if you choose to be.
As long as it remains a secret, Satan can use it against you to feel like a victim or ashamed of your past.