There’s absolutely nothing more valuable than being part of a family that loves, protects, fights and forgives, prays together, laughs, and appreciate each other. No family is perfect …. but there are many families that are very happy — as well as many families that are very unhappy.
It’s heart wrenching when you observe how families can be torn apart by little ‘foxes’ that very discreetly nibbles away at the pillars of the home.
What are some of the enemies that’s warring against our homes:
- Parent and Child relationship. This has detoriated over the years due to the digital age we now live in. Every member of the family walks around with their devices held securely in their hands and it has become a major distraction for eye contact. It’s no longer cool or significant for families to invest in healthy relationships. Back in the good old days – children never spoke back to their parents regardless of the ages of the children — there was an unbreakable bond and respect. Children took pride in their parents …. and parents and children communicated more.
- Grandparents were highly reverenced by their grandchildren. These days it’s totally acceptable for grandchildren to speak to their grandparents while staring at their devices in hands.
- When I was a child our social circle ONLY consisted of our siblings, neighbors and school friends. Today, social media has made the world smaller and very risky for our families. And yet parents can have a full blown debate why their children are more equipped to facing “reality” than when they were growing up.
- Families no longer spend quality time together. Dinner time is only for eating purposes and nothing more. Everyone has their own agenda and conversations are a thing of the past.
- Parents have become enablers to their children’s lifestyles by handing them the newest digital devices on the market and therefore spending little or no time reinforcing healthy behavior. If the latest technology keeps Jimmy quiet in his room – then it was worth the purchase.
Note to the wise: An intelligent person learns more from one rebuke than a fool beaten hundreds of times. Proverbs 17:10
Is it time to rebuild our homes so there will be NO enemy within?
- Family traditions must be established and upheld. Dinners, birthday celebrations, family night, family visits etc — yes, it’s a BIG thing to enforce
- We must respect, love and commit to each other. Fight and forgive. Love heals
- Communication is mandatory to maintaining healthy relationships. Meal times are simply not for eating quickly and excusing yourself from the table
- Nobody has time but everybody MUST make time.
When there is no enemy within …. the enemies outside cannot hurt the family. Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much more.
Duties of the family:
- Wives be good to your husbands and be responsive to their needs
- Husbands love your wife and do not be harsh with them
- Children do what your parents tell you to do. The first commandent that comes with a promise is ‘to honor your father and mother’ so you will live well and have long life
- Fathers do not come down hard on your children. Take them by the hand and lead them to God
- Young men – don’t be harsh and impatient with an old man. Talk to him as you would to your father
- Young ladies – honor an older woman as you would your mother
- If you do not take care of your relatives, especially the members of your own family, you have denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever