Someone sent me the following story:
Several years ago, a Pastor from out-of-town accepted a call to a town to propagate Christianity. Some weeks after he arrived, he had an occasion to ride a bus from his home to the downtown area. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him 50 cents above his normal change.
As he considered what to do, he thought to himself, ‘You’d better give this money back. It would be wrong to keep it.” Then another thought occurs to him, “Oh, forget it, it’s only 50 cents who would worry about this little amount?” Anyway, the bus company gets too much fare; they will never miss it. Accept it as a ‘gift from God’ and keep quiet.
“When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, and then he handed the 50 cents to the driver and said, ‘Hear, you gave me too much change.’ The driver, with a smile, replied, ‘Aren’t you the new Pastor in town?’ ‘Yes’ he replied. ‘Well, I have been thinking a lot lately about accepting Jesus. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I’ll see you in the Church this Sunday.
When the Pastor stepped off the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on, and said, ‘Oh God, I almost sold Christianity for 50 cents.’
Our lives are the Holy Bible some people will ever read. This is a really scary example of how much people watch us as Christians and will put us to the test! Always be on guard — and remember — We carry the name of Christ on our shoulders when we call ourselves ‘Christians.’
THINGS WE HEARD GROWING UP:
- What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.
- Whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.
- Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.
- Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in the right time we will reap, if we do not give up.
- When we have the opportunity, let us do good to everyone.
- Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching.
- Integrity is keeping your word.
- Doing what is right we all know … but doing the right thing makes a big difference
- When we do the right thing people notice, and it’s worth it.
- Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you are standing alone.
- Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.