There is a Proverb that says – ‘If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.’ A hammer is a handheld tool used to hit another object into place. A nail is a small, thin piece of metal with one pointed end and one flat end that you hit into something with a hammer. Now if all you have is a hammer guess what? Everything else will look like a nail.
Then the question is, who is the hammer and who is the nail? If you are a hammer you can either build or crush someone. If you are a nail, you will often see yourself as a victim believing that you are the target of someone else’s anger. No matter who is the hammer or who is the nail it is really all about perspective.
In real life depending on what is happening in our lives on any given day we all sometimes feel like a hammer or a nail. When we are in control the hammer characteristics shows up and on other days if we are hit with a curve ball the nail personality surfaces and we are overcome with a sense of self-pity. The sad reality is most times if we are not secured, we can feel like a nail.
To the person who is a hammer there are days you will hit and days you will miss so be kind to the nail. Just because you are a hammer does not mean that every problem is a nail – so, sometimes choose silence because it is better than unnecessary drama. Someone said that we should think if it is true, helpful, necessary, or is it kind then speak.
Silence is better than unnecessary drama.
To the nail person – just don’t sit around blaming others for your problems. Complaining about a hammer is like whining about life knowing very well the hammer is simply doing its job. It’s left up to you to quit complaining and take the responsibility to move ahead of the disgruntled crowd. It’s only when we own up to everything good or bad in our life can we do better.
Proverbs 3:4-9 MSG:
- Earn a reputation for living well in God’s eyes and the eyes of the people.
- Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
- Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the one who will keep you on track.
- Don’t assume that you know it all.
- Run to God! Run from evil!
- Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life!
- Honor God with everything you own; give him the first and the best.
- Guard Clear Thinking and Common Sense with your life; don’t for a minute lose sight of them
- They’ll keep your soul alive and well, they’ll keep you fit and attractive.
Hammer or Nail – Embrace the Journey