Below is a shorten list of the kind of people we encounter along life’s journey. We can’t choose our family, but we have an awesome responsibility to be selective with our friends.
The Book of Proverbs gives a word of caution to the wise:
• Wine and beer make people lose control. They get loud and stumble around
• An angry king is like a roaring lion, if you make him angry, you could lose your life
• People who refuse to argue deserve respect, any fool can start an argument
• You might call people your “friends”, but it is hard to find someone who you can really trust
• When people live good honest lives, their children are blessed
• God hates people who are dishonest
• If you love to sleep, you will become poor
• Before you start a war, get good advisers
• Don’t trust someone who would talk about things told in private
• Those who curse their father or mother are like a candle that goes out in darkness
• Don’t ever say, “I will pay them back for what they did to me!” Wait for the LORD. He will make things right
• If money was easy for you to get, it will not be worth much to you
• Even children show what they are like by the things they do. You can see if people’s actions are right or wrong
• The Lord gives people’s eyes for seeing and ears for hearing
• When buying something, people always say, “It’s no good. It costs too much.” Then they go away and tell others what a good deal they got.
If you read this so far, I believe that you really do care about building healthy relationships.
We are known by the company we keep.